Q Core Medical Infusion Pump Hardware
The key elements in the hardware of Q Core medical infusion pumps are: the pump mechanism , which is based on proprietary Q Core Flow Control Technology; and a unique, full-color touch screen . In addition, dual-processor architecture and high-density memory make the pump very flexible and easily adaptable to changing hospital and regulatory requirements.
Unique Pump Mechanism
Q Core’s flow control mechanism is the first and currently only one that has two propulsion systems working in synch. This unique design overcomes the challenges inherent in creating a continuous accurate flow even as different levels of force are required during different stages of the peristaltic cycle.
In the Q Core pump, one propulsion system is responsible for continuous equable flow, changing between different rates, under the control of a tailor-made engine and gear. The other system exploits magnetic propulsion to counter-balance the elastic forces of the administration set tube as it is compressed by the pump’s mechanical movement.
Utilizing magnetic flow control and acting as an automatic balancing mechanism, the pump mechanism enables extremely high and unwavering accuracy of ±2.5% at all rates during the treatment time. It also significantly reduces energy consumption, thus allowing an exceptionally long battery lifetime.
The key hardware components of the pump are:
- Administration cassette and Anti-Free Flow Valve (AFFV) – The administration tubing is connected to the pumping mechanism via the administration cassette. It provides anti free flow protection via the anti free flow valve (AFFV)
- Pistons – A set of four “fingers” that press on the tubing of the administration set in sequence. At any given time, there are two pistons pressing down on the tubing so there cannot be any free-flow.
- Cams - Four cams (one for each piston) ensure smooth, noise-free movement. Together with the Q Core Flow Control mechanism, they help to reduce the required accelerations.
- Motor and gear – These custom-made mechanisms offer an unprecedented gear efficiency of approximately 90% and a major transfer ratio of 21.8:1, further enhancing the accuracy of the pump.
- Power supply and battery - Q Core medical infusion pumps are powered by either a Li-ion rechargeable battery pack or by a medical grade AC/DC power supply. The pump connects to an AC line via an external AC/DC power adaptor, or via the pump’s cradle, which has an internal AC/DC power adaptor. The combination of the energy efficiency of the magnetic pumping mechanism and the Li-ion battery technology provides 24 hours of operation at 125 ml/hr.
Full-Color Touch Screen
- Sensors and alarms – Q Core pumps feature several sensors and alarms, including:
- Pressure sensor – Detects both upstream and downstream occlusion
- Air bubble detector – Detects single air bubbles with selectable sizes, keeps count and alerts when a selectable total is reached.
- Temperature sensor – Stops pump operation at elevated temperatures and monitors environmental temperature to enable flow rate to be adjusted based on ambient temperature
- Door sensor – Provides extra protection against fluid and dust
- Mechanical block alarms – Multiple alarms protect the pump against possible mechanical failures. Operation is stopped and an alarm is issued when predefined situations occur, to safeguard patient safety and prevent damage to the pump.
The touch screen is the key point of interface with Q Core infusion pumps, providing a very user-friendly, reliable and flexible human interface. There are only two hard-buttons on the device: power on/off and stop/start.
The 3.2” full-color screen (QVGA) enables clear display of the most important clinical parameters (VTBI, rate, VI, total volume, time till end of infusion, mode and drug during delivery) while creating a clear separation between different groups of data. Additional data, such as bolus history, settings and alarm limits, current pressure and air accumulated, is available in a very intuitive sequence of very minimal number of clicks.
The use of colors allows additional information to be added without creating a confusing or burdensome information overload. It also allows for a clear display of crucial details from distance, such as infusion mode, drug or ward.
- Q Core’s commitment to touch screen technology provides several benefits:
- Faster, easier operation – Helps users by eliminating the need to change focus between screen and keypad. This saves precious time and minimizes the risk for errors.
- No need for a separate keypad – The size, weight, and number of components can be minimized, and costs can also be reduced
- Reliability – Touch screen technology is proven to have a long MTBF
- Versatility – Facilitates updates and future development